Tuesday, January 29, 2013

REVIEW: Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1) by J.R. Ward




January's Feature: VAMPIRES

MY CHOICE:
Dark Lover by J.R. Ward


Publication Date: September 6, 2005
Synopsis (Goodreads):

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.
 
The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.



______________________________

Review:
I haven't read other book that concentrates on vampires since Twilight. Then I saw this reading challenge and I thought it's an opportunity for me read more about the different creatures of paranormal books.

I chose Dark Lover because it's on my list for quite sometime now. I've been hesitating from reading the series because it's a long one and I've been contemplating if I can catch up. Then I saw high ratings other people gave the book so I finally decided to read it.

My first reaction: "WHY DID I WAIT THIS LONG TO START THE SERIES?!"

There's a lot of things to love about the book. I especially love all the characters! I had the tendency to be confused with a book with a lot of characters or guys in this case, but I wasn't. The author gave distinct characteristics about each character that you'll remember them well. They are not just the fighting and all serious types and I always love to see their witty sides. All of the brothers are so intriguing I can't wait to read their stories!

The romance part was predictably fast and steamy. What I love about Wrath and Beth's relationship is that they changed each other for the better especially with Wrath. Wrath learned how to love and be selfless.

There are a bunch of POVs which I think has it's positive and negative sides. The only negative side is that there are a lot and you may be confused at times. But I have to commend the author for pulling it off. I think it's a necessary move for readers to understand the sides of the protagonists and antagonists.

All in all, the story is quite unique and I can't wait to read the sequel! If you haven't started the series yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Rating:

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!


Memorable Quote:

“Some bridges you crossed on your own, no matter who drove you to the edge” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy. You can say whatever you want to make my blog better. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks very much!