Tuesday, July 23, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Something Like Normal by Trish Doller

Publication Date: June 19,2012
Synopsis:
When Travis returns home from a stint in Afghanistan, his parents are splitting up, his brother’s stolen his girlfriend and his car, and he’s haunted by nightmares of his best friend’s death. It’s not until Travis runs into Harper, a girl he’s had a rocky relationship with since middle school, that life actually starts looking up. And as he and Harper see more of each other, he begins to pick his way through the minefield of family problems and post-traumatic stress to the possibility of a life that might resemble normal again. Travis’s dry sense of humor, and incredible sense of honor, make him an irresistible and eminently lovable hero.







______________________________

Review:


I think this is the best shortest book I’ve ever read.

Travis is a 19-year old marine who came home from a one year duty in Afghanistan. He has a very supporting mom and a not-so-supporting dad and a brother who hooked up with his girlfriend.
I think it’s a typical story of a guy who went to serve his country and comes back a bit shattered and in a deeper perspective in life. You may think it’s like Dear John, which was mentioned several times in the book but it’s totally different.

Travis has experienced a lot of encounters in Afghanistan and one of them is the unlikely death of his friend, Charlie. He became a changed man since the incident and a more mature one. Coming back means being with his family-mom, dad and brother. But a lot has changed since then. I love his mom. She’s so supportive of him in all of his choices unlike his dad. I can’t help but feel for her, for all her sacrifices, not just for her son but for her family.

Then there’s Harper, a girl she knew in middle school who isn’t charmed by him, maybe, just in the beginning. Eventhough she hates Travis, their relationship gotten so much better and she became his salvation to pass through the trauma he’s experienced.

I only have two complaints. One is that the story was too short. Or maybe I just felt I need more! I even thought I have an incomplete copy when I saw the number of pages the book has. Second, I felt that there’s a need for closure between Travis and his dad, also his brother. So there!

Recommended? YES!


Rating:

Memorable Quotes:



“He was the person all of us should be, but most of us aren't. And if I could have taken his place to buy him a little more time in the world, I'd have done it. I'm sorry I couldn't.” 




“Maybe someday we'll see each other again, Charlie. For real I mean. Until then, save me a seat, okay?

_____________________________


Tenth book for

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be shy. You can say whatever you want to make my blog better. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks very much!